Friday, October 30, 2009

Too Easy

When Tanner and Ethan play a video game or do some sort of activity, they become extremely excited if they are doing well and extremely distraught if they do poorly. One phrase that they commonly use to describe their emotions is "I'm easy at this". Similarly, if they are doing poorly or are frustrated with the activity, they will say "I am not so easy at this". I understand what they are trying to say, but I've never bothered to correct their speech. Tanner started using these phrases first, months and months ago. Ethan has learned them from him and he used them three or four times tonight while we were driving home. He was so excited that he was beating a level on his DS game that he kept exclaiming, "I'm easy at this!" One time he did say "I'm good at this game", but I felt impressed to correct him and his brother. I told them not to say "I'm easy at this" and to start to say "This is easy for me". Tanner practiced it right away and said it correctly. Ethan was so engrossed in his game, that he didn't respond when I called his name. After he was done with his level, I had him repeat the phrase. I don't know if it will stick, but with enough reminders, I know it will. Even though it's so cute to hear them say it the wrong way, I figure it's probably time to teach them the right way now. They are growing up so fast.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I totally get this post. Thomas has always said "chocolate and valinda" and I have never done anything about it. It just doesn't bother me. But now he's going to kindergarten and said valinda one day and someone else told him it was really 'vanilla' and now he's practicing saying it the right way.