
Beep, beep, beep,
The alarm clock beckons.
Snap, crackle, pop,
my body responds, but
I press on.
Cleansed, dry and dressed,
I fight the clock to be ready.
All the while my arms, head and feet
long to be back with my life-sized teddy.
Gray, quiet and expectant,
the hall shows me that the sun will be waking soon.
Creak, thump, thump,
my feet betray my location.
I hold my breath and tip toe like
some absurd cartoon.
Squeak, thump, click,
the front door stands behind me.
Crunch, crunch, crunch,
the gravel beneath complains.
I ignore it, well sort of,
and search for my other set of keys.
Whoosh, crackle, coo,
a soft breeze alerts the trees
and birds.
Tingle, sigh, giggle,
the coolness in the air
brushes my skin, fills my lungs
and makes my soul purr.
Visions of holidays and sweaters
softly invade my thoughts.
by Kym Wade
No comments:
Post a Comment