I'm very excited. This week, I had the opportunity to drop Tanner off at preschool. Monday, he tried to be clingy and shy, but the teacher found a way to cheer him up. She excitedly announced that Tanner could read. The rest of the class was already in a circle on the floor, but she stopped what she was doing with them, pulled out a marker and notebook, and helped Tanner sound out three letter words. He tried to be shy about it and he spoke softly at first and had his fingers in his mouth, but he gradually spoke up as he gained more confidence. I am so proud. My almost five year old, who wouldn't even talk when he was three (and would only make "monkey" noises to communicate), is now reading! His teacher sent some books home to help him develop his reading skills. I practiced with him, and eventually he could read the two and three letter words in the titles by sight. He had school and bus down before we even started. He was a very eager learner and was so excited to be reading with mom. He's shown an extreme interest in books for the longest time. He loves to open a book and pretend he is reading it out loud. If he doesn't already know the story, because it isn't one I have read to him, he just makes it up as he goes. I'm very happy that he is happy to read.
I know he's been jealous of Jayden's ability to read for a long time. Jayden has great reading-aloud skills, but he's become somewhat disinterested in reading. He doesn't seem to concentrate on what he reads sometime and he is easily distracted. He still loves when I read to him and his brothers at night. One of his favorite things to do is shop for new books. His main hang-up with reading is that it keeps him from his precious play time with his friends. The poor persecuted child! I am a firm believer in the motto, "Work first, play later," but he thinks it should be the other way around. He tries to convince me that I'm wrong, too. It's so annoying.
Ethan is very interested in books, too. I've seen Tanner teach (or tell) Ethan how to do things, so I have a feeling that it won't be too long before Ethan learns to read, too. Ethan doesn't like to be left out of anything. Of course, this leads to another topic. I've been totally baby hungry the past couple of months. I would like to cure that craving some time next year. I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but I think having a fourth child will be good for Ethan. This afternoon, I asked him if he would like another baby in the house. His eyes lit right up and he nodded. I asked him if he would like a boy or a girl and he immediately said "girl!" (I love this kid; I really do) I already know that Jayden wants a sister, because he wanted a sister two brothers ago. I don't remember what Tanner wants.
It would be nice if three votes for a girl would help out my odds, but as my brother-in-law pointed out, I have no odds. Well, maybe I'll get to have some granddaughters to dote on. ;-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment