Thursday, November 6, 2008

Will work for Wii...or DS...or Xbox



So I must be doing something right; right? I noticed that when I bribed the kids with extra candy (above their post Halloween allowance) or with video game play, I didn't have to pick up as many toys as I used to. Jayden found himself in deep trouble with Dad yesterday morning. He played on my Nintendo DS and didn't ask for permission first. So, as punishment, Bryan threatened to take the Pokemon DS game back. I negotiated with him and came up with a plan to make the boys earn their game play privileges on a daily basis. Yesterday, after Jayden completed his homework, he had to do five house chores to earn the right to play the DS. Tanner caught on (by example) and vacuumed the stairs and his bedroom. After they both completed their chores (no, it wasn't perfect, but at least it looked better) they were both given 10 minutes of game time before dinner. We set the timer and everything. Today, while I drove home from work (sans Jayden), Tanner whined to play on my DS again, and I told him he had to do chores first. Ethan chimed in and wanted to play the Monkey game on the Wii. I told him he had to do chores, too. When we got home, Tanner threw a major fit because I wouldn't let him play a game without chores first. I had to lock him out in the backyard until he was done with his temper tantrum, but he did change his tune and brought down the vacuum. He vacuumed the play room and the kitchen (not a very effective way to clean tile by the way). I had Ethan put away the clean silverware and when he was done with that, he and Tanner put away the rest of the dishes. They are now both downstairs with their games, and I'm upstairs fairly happy about the results. Go me!

No comments: