Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Eight is Great!




Well, I've really got to make this short, because it is way past my bedtime. Jayden has reached the magical age of eight. He was baptized and became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on February 21st. This day was a very memorable day for our family. The Primary room was packed full of family and friends for our son and for the other boy and the two girls who were also being baptized. I gave the talk on baptism before they split up the parties. I was really nervous, but I pulled through. The kids loved the peanut butter/diaper wipe analogy. I watched all four kids be baptized. I knew all of them personally, so it made this event in their lives very special to me. I was so proud of all of them. After everyone was packed back into the Primary room, the boys and girls were individually confirmed members of the church with a blessing given by fathers/uncles. Jayden was first, and as I eluded to in the previous blog, Ethan (my three-year-old) was so sad that he didn't get to stay up front and participate in the blessing with all his uncles, grandpas, his daddy and Ben. It was so hilarious when he threw his little pouting tantrum. At least he didn't do one of his crying fits, too. After the blessings were complete, we had the family come over for hamburgers & hot dogs and celebratory cupcakes. I had an extremely pleasant time with all the extended family there. I'm not big on large family social events, but every now and again, I find a way to come out of my turtle shell and enjoy myself. All in all, the whole day was great.




The week after his 8th birthday, Jayden started the Cub Scout program. He is so excited for Tuesdays now, which reminds me, we both forgot about it yesterday. What was I thinking?!? I had a reminder phone call and everything. Now I know I've developed After Children Attention Deficit Disorder for sure! Anyways, this past Saturday was Jayden's first Pinewood Derby (wooden car races). Bryan was extremely excited to help Jayden build his "Hot Rod" and I helped decorate the car with stickers. Jayden loves it. He made a little platform for it to sit on while it is not in use. On Saturday, we took the boys to the race. Jayden lost his first race because Bryan forgot to lubricate the wheels, but "Hot Rod" won its other three races after graphite was applied. Overall, Jayden's car didn't make the top four qualifiers, but he did do better than many of the other racers. Bryan has already formulated plans for next years derby. I had loads of fun being Jayden's cheering squad. Maybe next year I'll do some cheer leading moves when Jayden's car wins a race. Then again, I may want to loose a few pounds. ;-p

1 comment:

~Debbi~ said...

My heavens, that child has gotten big. He looks so grownup. Did you give him permission to do that? Because I keep telling my kiddo to stay my baby forever and he's pretty cool with it. He wants to live with me forever and if we ever mention moving out when he's a grown up, he cries. Five year olds are hilarious! Eight looks so darn old. Stop growing up Jayden!